Thursday 14 October 2010

The Great Panoramic Mask Experiment

I bought myself a SuperSampler Pearl in July. I took it off on holiday with me, ran two films through it and took them to Boots for developing when I got back...

One of the results appears below - a horrible out of focus mess - and they were all similarly out of focus... disaster! The camera had to be sent back... it turned out it was missing its optics so I was effectively getting a pinhole camera effect... kind of cool but not what I really wanted.

Supersampler rubbish #2

While I was waiting for a replacement to arrive I began wondering if there was a way of creating a similar effect with the digital SLR and Photoshop... It didn't need to be too sophisticated because Lomographic style is supposed to be imperfect and I decided to try making a card lens cover with a panoramic slit cut out of it...

The first attempt at a photo starred a jolly pink toy robot... It was done as a wide shot in response to a rather baffling challenge on The Daily Shoot. The date, by the way, was Friday the 13th of August, 2010...

Card Panorama Cut

The effect was what I wanted and it went up on The Daily Shoot and Flickr to good response - one of my Flickr freiends, Nick Harris commented: "I think you have invented a new photographic style here. Well done"... Mel echoed that and said I should put a "how to" account online as a record... this is it...

Anyway, the inspiration behind all this was to create multi-frame "Supersampler-style" images using Photoshop to glue the frames together... drum roll please... here are some of the best examples so far...

Four Funky Robots

Stretched Snack Shop

Lomography Shop London

What's the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment