Friday 28 January 2011

Flying success!

Paper night flight - as seen on the BBC website

The BBC sets a weekly themed challenge - last week it was "Flight"... How to illustrate flight? Simple, make a paper plane with a propeller you can spin and catch the movement with slow shutter speed. I used two colours and decided to fit a double propeller to see if I might get some interesting colour in the movement...

Getting the picture wasn't easy - I had to spin the propeller with one hand while holding the camera with the other and anything over 1/30 seemed to freeze the movement a bit too much. I found it wasn't worth using a tripod because every time I twirled the propeller the plane moved slightly and would have taken too much time... it had to be hand-held job...

I must have shot about 40 frames in about five minutes, most were rejects but I got three I was pleased with for different reasons and the one above looked the most effective - I was particularly pleased with the way the two colours showed up in the spin.

Anyway, off it went to BBC online and I was really happy to see that it was used: here's a link to the gallery - if that wasn't good enough it also featured as the thumbnail on the main "In pictures" page... a very good result!

No comments:

Post a Comment